Monday, March 05, 2007

National Champions!!!!

Wow a last week for Oakland University Hockey Back-To-Back Champions (D2 2006-D1 2007)

I am still in shock as I sit in my office area at OUTV this morning ( I was over an hour late for work as well) I would have never thought this after the famous Blowup at the Team Stevie Staeger and myself had after the Western Michigan Game in the UMD Classic.

I only missed 4 games this season the 2 in Iowa and the 2 in Illinois so following the guys since November every game makes this championship so special. I saw the team develop, fall apart and develop into Champions. They beat Illinois who is many peoples eyes were the best team in the the tournament then # 1 Penn State simply amazing


Credit to Sean Hogan. I questioned on the OU Hockey Show earlier this season if he had what it took to Coach this team this season. They seemed lost and confused many many games this season. Hogan does know best and I was wrong on him dead wrong. Now the question remains how can this guy not win Coach of The Year? If I had a vote he would be the guy. I know Penn State Head Coach Scott Balboni will get some votes keeping the Icers #1 and back in the championship game in his first season as Head Coach but Hogan had a sinking ship and saved it, the questions were why do these guys suck so bad? What has happened to this program? Does Hogan know how to evaluate talent? He does and Collin Chase Proves that.

I forget sometimes that he is a freshman. It took me more then half the year to be sold on him. I was in the Jim Sardelli Camp for most of the year, then went with Andy Hansen proven goalie so he can win this thing. Wrong Again. What is funny is the Coaching Staff and myself both throughout the season kept making Chase our third option. It all started for Chase with the big victory over Liberty at the ONYX.


As many of you know I am not allowed to make predictions about OU Hockey because I end up cursing them if I do. The Prediction in my head was OU would lose to Lindenwood in day 1 and Go home. Just so you know.

Recap of the Tournament from Oaklandhockey.org

5pm Wednesday is The OU Hockey Show: Championship Edition

Call us at 248-370-4274 or message us on AIM at WXOUDJ