Saturday, January 19, 2008

Post-Game Thoughts

What went wrong? I don't know. Lack of Effort? Lack of Focus? Where they prepared to play? No clue. I won't single out anyone for anything. Yes, some played much worse then others. I'm not sure anyone deep down inside can explain what really happened out on the ice tonight. It was brutal From the top all the way down. I have said this all year that this team is overall a better one then last year. It is hard to say that now after a tough loss but its one of those things. I won't back away from that statement when these guys play the way we all know they can play they can beat anyone.

Tomorrow should be better. I think. I was wrong about today...big time. Robbie Nowinski killed us 5 goals tonight for him. They didn't have an answer. The Power Play was brutal overall. I believe OU had 3 straight 5 on 3 chances late in the game they didn't score, it did em in one could say but no so fast. The game was over long before that after the Nowinski SH breakaway goal it ended right there. OU led at one point 2-1. They controlled the start of the third for the 1st minute only to have AZ march down and score.

I was asked several times after the game if it looked as bad from up high where the broadcast location is compared to the ice level and it was. Like I told one of the OU coaches it looked like we grabbed a bunch of guys, asked if they wanted to play and flew to Arizona to play.

I don't know if Arizona was that good like Matt Alvarez who did color today said, and not taking anything away from Arizona but Oakland was just bad. We all know it to. I have never ever seen them play this bad and look this lost, including all of the Davenport losses. I still fell the same way about Arizona as I did coming in there was nothing to impressive that we haven't seen before or haven't faced.

We discussed it in the broadcast but did the Grizzlies season end tonight? If they think that then it did. We will find out. I won't say it 100% has but this loss kills them. They must win tomorrow and win rather large. I won't say its over but it is pretty close if these things keep happening. It is not an excuse to say who was not here and what not either.

Now lets look at the big picture and get a positive attitude.. that's the new me thinking, normally I would of went on a rant calling out players individually but thats not productive. Yes, OU had a shot in the third Orlando scored two goals that appeared to be meaning less at the time but OU went on those Powerplays and did nothing. OU did score to make it 6-5 but it was waived off on a Royanye Penalty. So after playing so poorely they had Arizona on their heels and the needed an empty netter. This is one of those games where despite how bad OU played they had a shot at the end but in reality when you look back and realize how bad it was, like I said it was a 7-1 or 7-2 loss.

Nick Boddy the netminder got a 10 minute misconduct, Coach Schaeffler said in the second intermission that its a rule that the goalie has to serve it to hold him accountable. He was nothing to special that we haven't encountered before.

As for Coaching..and as I said on the Broadcast I didn't agree with pulling Hansen when they did the 3rd straight 5 on 3 just expired it was 5 on 4. The PP was clearly fading down in terms of doing anything. I would have waited til the 5 on 4 expired or OU got a goal. Not that it made or broke the game in anyway but it ended any chance of a comeback. There was still enough time to do it later knowing how clutch OU has been in the end of some games. My thinking is why go to 6 on 4 when 5 on 3 didn't work for as long as they had them? I haven't had any issues with Coaching this season at all but several things were off or odd today in that end. I had thoughts at times in the broadcast to myself that were : Why is out there right now? Why are they not doing this or that? ect....

Hopefully tomorrow is better. I hate losses just as much as anyone it really puts a damper on a trip.

I think everyone is asking did that really happen tonight?