Monday, June 16, 2008

Dave Pemberton and OU Hoops

Our good buddy Dave Pemberton from the Oakland Press has started a blog and he discusses briefly picking Oakland Men's Basketball as #1 in his pre-season ballot.

A few post ago I discussed how many would pick OU as a favorite. I really don't want to directly say it now but how can you not? On paper and that is the key they look like this is the best shot to get back to the Tournament but I will try and wait until we see the full non-conference schedule and how that will shake out but how can you not be excited?

I think the biggest thing Coach Kampe is doing with his public comments is trying to calm the excitement over this team as it is only still on paper and not fair to expect greatness without being on the court yet and as Brad Doescher pointed out when I started to get excited on the show last week is that these guys are freshmen, but we are excited about how Kangas will be not injured, Stradt in the fold with another year and all the energy he brings D-Nelson as well and JJ dominating the Summit like we know he can. We believe they upgraded on what they lost.

Questions like Dave says in his blog how will the minutes be dished out? Can the team handle the pressure that is sure to follow? How will they respond to adversity? Will the recruits live up to the hype? Will they avoid let downs in the conference schedule? and finally how will they deal with ORU the defensing conference champs?

I think in the end they will be ok but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. I have told some in private I think they will be damn good but like Dave I haven't seen these guys yet with ny own eyes so its based on reports, research and the typical things you do for new recruits like online video clips (but those can make anyone look good so you take it with a grain of salt)

Also we are working on getting Coach Kampe on, I saw him briefly at a golf outing and he said he would be happy to talk with us, so we are just trying to do the scheduling of that now through the proper channels.