Thursday, June 26, 2008

OU Hockey Prospect Camp Thoughts

Thinking about our interview with Coach Schaeffler yesterday we kind of got an idea of what they are looking for maybe more of a recap but will add some things:

Coach Bachusz has some guys he was able to bring in that sounds promising knowing his background and hockey knowledge.

The conditioning and strength of the team will be much better so they can play a full 60 minutes at a high level.

No one from last season that can return has said 100% they are not coming back. You always hear chatter and some of the guys like to mess with us to. Coach also mentioned because of different commitments we can't really assume if they are not in this weekend that they are gone.

In Goal: Chase #1 then its up to how will Andrew Stewart play in the summer camps and how well will the other guys play. the #2 job won't be handed to him and it shouldn't but he will have the chance to earn it. Do I think he can? yep. Will he? Can't say for sure without seeing who else is there my gut feeling says he will. You need a guy who we can talk about pushing Chase for #1 and not pushing Stewart for #2. That would a win-win in my eyes and not a knock on either goalie.

On D: Samp, Yearego, Orlando are in Ronayne it depends on how he does Gordie was saying hes a great talent and I agree. They are looking for a 3 or 4 defender. I would think they have the top 4 in those guys above, but you never know who can bump them down. they are looking for that Scott Elder shot blocking defensive defenseman. They missed that when Elder was here after the game the goalies would say he blocked so many shots. I don't think I heard that once last year.

It's about helping the goalie and not leaving him out to dry.

The coaches were not happy giving up 3 goals a game, which means before you even drop the puck your asking your forwards to at least score 4 goals. I believe they will fix that part quick. The rest have to be the best out of the other group coming in. Defensive turnovers have to come way down I think. I don't have the numbers just a gut feeling.

On Forwards: This is the area that I'm the most worried about. We discussed after the interview who's team is this Kranker's? Is that fair for us to say now? We could say in the past it's Will's team, it's Cooper's team. I got the impression this is what concerns Gordie the most what I took out of the interview is that for scorers there is Kranker and then question marks. There is lots of competition here lots of chances for someone to step up and be the next top 6 forward.

They have one top 6 guy in Kranker I think they are 100% comfortable with. Someone in position in front of the net more, would be ideal in one of those spots. I noticed numerous times last season thinking if only someone was there it would of been an easy goal.

As we discussed I think Worrell or Haugh or maybe Austin could be one of those guys. I'm more then comfortable with Haugh in the top 6. Worrell shows flashes but he has to do it consistent enough.

Finally Special Teams can improve I think that on the Power Play you need to make teams pay more then happens not at least generate more chances, more puck cycling and shots.

Reading this will make you think this team blows but that is the farthest thing from the truth its a good team but they are making it into a great team again a top team.